In dynamic society, people can find out a lot of methods to treat. But some diseases are difficult to be treated. They bring to patients more scare and take them a lot of money and time. Besides, some diseases also affect the appearance and psychology of patients. They make them feel uncomfortable in communication and their life. Lupus is one of the diseases that causes more scare for people, especially is young women. It has been known since early 19th century and considered a skin disease, non- dangerous. But in 1951, it was introduced by Cazenave in two forms: injured in skin and injured organs.
What is lupus?
It is a chronic disease that can damage any part of the body (muscle, skin or organs). It means that these symptoms can last longer, it can be 6 weeks or many years. It also creates antibodies that strike and destroy healthy tissue. The initial symptoms include: fever, malaise, joint pain, muscle fatigue and tiredness.
The cause of Lupus
The cause of this disease is not known. Lupus can be caused by a combination of many factors in particular the factors that are:
– Genetics: Siblings of Lupus patients are more likely to be infected than other people 20 times.
– Environment: Due to infection, exposure of chemicals or sun…..
– Endocrine: The disease occurs mainly in women have pregnant (9 times more than in men). After menopause, the rate to get this disease decrease.
The expression of the disease
This disease has diversified expression. Symptoms of systemic lupus can appear suddenly or slowly after months and years. Because it affects most organs in the body, the symptoms of the disease are very diverse. More than 90% of the patients have no symptoms such as weight loss, fatigue, mild fever, hair loss, mouth ulcers, and minor joint pain. About 3/4 of patients have red rash on the skin. The most common is butterfly syndrome on the face.
It also can damage organs such as:
- At the heart (pericardial effusion, myocarditis).
- In the lungs (pleural effusion, pneumonia).
- In the kidneys (glomerular inflammation).
- In the nervous system (convulsions, mental disorder).
They usually occur in the fiery phase of the disease, about 50-85% of patients and become a major cause of death. Symptoms usually develop between periods of recovery.
The symptoms are often unclearly and like many other conditions in the early of the disease. So from the first symptoms until the diagnosis is correct can take several years.
Hence, patients should go to the hospital to test and treat it as soon as having some symptoms. This disease can occur to everyone, especially in genetics. If family has one member with lupus, the other members will have a high rate to get this disease. besides, women with pregnant have a high rate to get it. It cannot be treated completely and the expression is also complicated. So, women should get tested at medical center before having pregnant or when having some initial symptoms. In unfortunately situation, a young woman get this disease, how she can overcome it.
Young woman overcome Lupus
Although it is difficult to treat lupus completely, you can control it by treated properly. Young women also improve the expression of it by changing life style:
- At the stage of the disease, patients should have a rest. They need to have more time to rest that can avoid stress. They also do more exercises to avoid muscle atrophy and improve their condition. If they are so nervous about their disease, it will become difficult to be treated. So, they need to keep calm when taking this disease and follow doctor’s direction.
- They also avoid working under the sun and in dirty environment. These factors can make their disease become worse. When they get in touch with the sun directly, UV rays can hurt their skin and make their condition worsen.
- Diet is also an important part to treat lupus. Patients with lupus should have a good diet to reduce inflammation and symptoms. Good diet can maintain strong bones and muscles, fight drug side effects and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease:
- They should eat more food such as fruits and vegetables. And food that contain omega 3 fatty acids like fish, nuts, canola oil, olive oil. These food will have good anti-inflammatory effect. Also, they should eat food rich in calcium, vitamin D: skim milk, yogurt, low fat cheese, soy milk, almond milk, lactose-free milk. Drinking vitamin supplements and eating green vegetables rich in calcium. These food will help them reduce inflammation and fight the side effects of medicine.
- People with lupus have a higher risk of heart disease than normal people. Thus, maintaining a diet to have a healthy heart is essential. They need eat more food that contain omega 3 fatty such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring, tuna. And should not eat food with high cholesterol or fat.
- They should avoid alcohol and caffeine foods. These food will prevent iron absorption. While iron is a mineral that helps the body prevent anemia – a common complication of lupus.
- They can go to the hospital and use drug according to doctor’s direction. Some drug such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen are effective in inflammation. But some of them also have side effects. That’s why patients should use them with direction.
- Government should find out a lot of methods that make patients feel confident in their work. Do not have discriminate with them because of their appearance. Family and friend will be supporters help them overcome lupus.
In short, you can control lupus by treated properly, having good life style and patient’s diet as well. The important thing is patients should have good psychology to face with this disease, avoid stress and nervousness. Besides, they should combine doing exercises with having good diet. They also need the help from family and society that can make them become confident and comfortable in their work and their life.